Good morning, blogland.
Today I want to take a break from bragging about my progress (as I'm sure you'd like to read something different from time to time) to discuss something that I know I've struggled with, and I'm sure many of you have as well.
Positive self-talk. How many times have you caught yourself saying, "Ugh, if only I didn't have this muffin top" or "My flabby arms are so gross!" or even "No one would ever want to see me in a tank top / bathing suit / skirt / shorts"?
I know I do it. Just last night, after a particularly difficult run, I came home, slightly frustrated, thinking, "holy crap, a 41-minute 5K is not something to be proud of. I need to do better."
Sometimes (read: a lot of the time) we're our own worst enemies. The fact is, I ran. Despite a tired body and mind after a long week of intense exercise and busy work, I went to run clinic, and I completed the scheduled run. My legs felt like lead the entire time, but I didn't give up.
So why wasn't my inner voice saying, "Way to go, Sadie! You rock, girl!"
The answer? I think it's mostly habit. I always want to do better. I hate failure.
The trick is to realize that a crappy run is not a failure. I RAN. I should be shouting it from the rooftops.
Do you ever look at yourself in the mirror and say, "Self, you are beautiful." I know I don't, not nearly often enough, anyway. A healthy self-image starts with believing that you are worthy of praise.
My challenge to you all this week is to turn any and all negative thoughts into positive ones. Tell yourself you're beautiful. Celebrate your accomplishments, big and small.
You are worth it. And so am I.
1 comment:
Hallelujah! I hear you loud and clear. It is a testament to how ingrained this is when I immediately thought two things simultaneously: Way to go Sadie! and "I could never do that."
But I will try!
Post a Comment