Saturday, December 31, 2011

Why?

Thanks for the comments on my post yesterday. It's good to know you're reading!

Today I've been thinking a lot about the reasons behind my goals for 2012. Ultimately, I want to take charge of my destiny and make my life what I want it to be.

I want to continue to grow and learn. I want to be healthy and happy. I don't need a lot of money or material things. I just need to feel fulfilled. I'm viewing 2012 as a year of personal discovery, a time for looking ahead, not back. The past is over; I can't change it now.

Along with that, I want to remember that I can't control life's events. All I can control are my reactions to them. Sometimes, unfortunately, life deals a bad hand. There's not a whole lot I can do about it when that happens. All I can do is summon my strength to deal with whatever comes my way.

Breaking it down into my goals, here are my reasons for each one (in numbered list form, of course!):
  1. My health. Not only do I want to be healthier, I want to feel healthier, more confident and attractive. I want to know I can do anything I want, with no physical limitations. I don't want to be 28 years old and still trying to lose weight or get fit or both.
  2. My finances. I feel like, at 27 years old, it's about time I learn to budget and save and do all the things that adults are "supposed" to do. I also want to know that we have enough savings in case of an emergency. I want to live my dream of a year abroad, but I also want to make sure I have savings for a rainy day.
  3. My job. This year wasn't great in terms of my professional life. I got stuck in a job that I didn't love and, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't fake it. Starting on January 3, I am going back to my true calling, which will help toward living this goal. But I also want to make sure that I don't make work my life because I know eventually that'll make me unhappy.
  4. My relationship. Of course I want to be happy, but I also want to know that S is happy, and that I am doing everything I can to keep our relationship strong. I plan to spend the rest of my life with him. Relationships take work. I never, ever want to take ours for granted.
I will come back to this post periodically, when I feel I'm losing focus. Putting the words here helps.

1 comment:

OldGoogleAccount said...

Excellent intelligent goals from an excellent intelligent woman. :) I will be there with you every step of the way.